Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh, I just showered.

Ok. Honesty time.

Ready?

I think makeup makes me prettier. The confidence I have when I actually put the effort in, shower, do anything with my hair, apply the precise amount of color to make my eyes pop, and eliminate any imperfections I see is always more than what I have on the days I simply roll out of bed. On the days where my mornings begin before the sun is up, I have often described myself as looking "homeless." I joke that I get better tips on those days because people feel sorry for me. When people do compliment me, I often respond with a "Thanks! I showered!" in hopes that I don't ever come across as one of those people who puts that much time into their appearance, though on the inside there is a ton of high 5ing happening. I want to be one of those people who is confident enough to go out in public without anything on their face, a spring in their step, as confident as I was when I was younger.

And some days, I do have that confidence. Some days, I wake up, look in the mirror, and say, "Dang, chica! You are rocking that smile today! Let's reward you with 5 more minutes in bed." (Yes, I do consider sleeping a reward.) But then there are the days where I want to curl my hair, and remember that I chopped it off. And while it is the easiest thing ever to do, it is nearly impossible to change anything about it without major skill, which I do not poses. (Nor do I poses the patience to grow it out. Once it hits the almost a mullet stage, I freak out and chop. It's an ugly cycle.) Or I see some gorgeous photos of my friends, and I think, "Why can't I take a normal picture? Must my face always go crazy?!" And on those days, the makeup goes on extra thick.

Sidenote - I do not have anything against makeup. It is a wonderful thing for the days you need to feel extra girly, throw on some sparkle and color. It can be the funnest thing!

However, the problem arises when we use makeup to not enhance, but hide. Its a problem when we can't look at ourselves without it and find a single good thing to say. Its a problem when your close friends do not recognize you without it.

You are beautiful. No, you probably do not look like the girls in the movies or magazines, but that doesn't mean you are not beautiful. And not in a "She's got a beautiful personality!" No. No, no, no, no, no. I mean there was a plan that was made when it came to making you, and God Himself said you were good. Your smile/eyes/hair/lips/nose/ears/every other weird thing we think is wrong were put there on purpose. Your curls/pin straight hair that you hate are what another girl dreams of.

I so tired of seeing girls go out and not actually being able to see their real skin. I'm tired of seeing orange people. I am saddened when I hear one of my friends talking about a guy, and I hear her say, "Yeah, well, he'll never pick me anyway, so why bother?" I want to scream at you all, "DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE FABULOUS?!" But then I realize I'm included in that group.

So girls, can we stop for a minute, wipe off that mask we painted on ourselves, and take an honest look in the mirror? And by honest, I don't mean critical. I mean appreciative. Find that thing that you poses that no one else does. The thing that when others compliment you on, you blush and say, "Oh, that? I just showered today." Because I'm telling you its there.

Thanks for reading! It means so stinkin' much!

1 comment:

  1. Heck YES! Score one for the fabulous girls (you)! Speaking of, this post is fabulous. We're our most harsh critics anyway, so we should just stop that. I fully plan on waking up tomorrow and finding the feature I like best and celebrating that. After I sleep in of course. ;) BTW, I fully count sleep as a reward too. I would forgo a meal to sleep more...have done it before and will continue to for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete