Friday, October 14, 2011

Benefits of Working With the Guys...

As some of you know, I have a new job at a party rental company. I love it, well, at least 90% of the time. And one of the reasons I love it is because of all the unexpected wisdom/insight I have the good fortune of overhearing from my male co-workers. So I thought I'd share what I've gleaned so far. Enjoy.

#1: "You can't fix stupid." It may not be nice, but it is honest. There is only so much you can do to help those who just don't get it. So, better to do your best to help, and then just accept the fact that some may never get that Red Carpet is Red, or that an 8 foot table is 8 feet long. It helps me to just shake my head, smile, and think, "Aw, so dumb."

#2: "If you aren't willing to do any of the things involved in being in a relationship, then why are you wanting to be in one with me?" This gem was overheard from a coworker arguing with "some needy chic." And its so true! So often I see people out there who are desperate to be in a relationship, to know that someone cares for them, that they will jump into any relationship to get it, even though they are in no way ready for a relationship. If you cannot be there to comfort, support, uplift, correct, and care for that person, but are only in it for yourself? Well, you need to grow up and realize you aren't in middle school anymore.

#3: "Wow, she was definitely trying to hide some funk!" Ladies, the fellows notice when we bath in perfume, instead of just bathe. If you must skip the shower, (which I will admit to do far to often) do not take a swim in your perfume to mask it. Also, carefully select it. You can go to counters and ask for samples. Try them out, and see which ones you get compliments on. Just because the perfume smells good doesn't mean it will smell good on you. If no one says anything about it, toss it. "Anything less than the best is a felony" in this case.

#4: "You mean the rich, wanna be stripper?" Yep, that was a real comment made about one of our customers, made by one of the men I work with. Ladies, when you wear clothes that were designed for elementary students, completely disguise yourself with pounds makeup and wigs, and talk in a "dumb girl" voice? You are putting forth the image of a stripper. And that's what people will see you as. And from the conversations I'm hearing right now, you will not like their opinion of you. Yes, I know that they should treat you like a lady, regardless of how you dress, and in my coworkers defense, they did, but in their mind you are not a lady, you are a stripper.

#5 "You will never love something so completely as you will your own child." Sometimes I like to think I already understand this, because that's how I feel about my kids in Mexico. It kills me to leave them. I would do anything to keep them all safe. It physically pains me when I know that they're in danger. But everyone with biological children seems to believe that its different when its your own, so I guess I'll find out if that ever happens. But the wisdom is this: Our generation is not for sure going to be full of dead beat parents. There are several people out there who, while a child wasn't their plan, love that kid more than anything. And I think that's wonderful and worth celebrating.

Now, I need to say something. I love my co-workers. They are wonderful. They can be some of the sweetest, most genuine, caring people I have ever met. They are funny, helpful, hard working, interesting guys. They are some of my favorite examples of random chivalry. I would trust some of them more than I would some of my "saved" friends. No, they do not always do the right thing, and I haven't a clue if any of them have met the Lord, but I love them either way and feel so blessed to work with them. Maybe sharing some of their private thoughts and conversations isn't the best way to show that, but pretty sure none of them know I blog, so I think I'm safe!

Thank you for reading! I cannot even begin to explain how shocked I am that you do. So thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment