Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Mission

So, to get into the Christmas spirit, since setting up the tree and hanging snow flakes from the ceiling wasn't doing it for me this year, I decided to take part in More Love Letter's project of 12 Days of Love Letter Writing. It's an incredible project, where people all around can write letters of love and encouragement to those who are having a hard time this year. Those writing the letters don't know the people they're encouraging, they are just doing so to be a blessing. So you know, it's not too late for you to join either!

Anyway, this got me thinking. You know, there is one thing that Minnesota is known for, besides snow, lakes, our Oh's, the Mall of America, me, and that would be the "Minnesota Nice." We are legitimately really genuinely nice to strangers here. It's not the kind where we're nice to their face while we give them directions, but the moment they leave, we start laughing about how we really don't have a clue where they wanted to go. I've witnessed strangers drive families home when their cars have stalled, borrow them their phones, shovel them out, and a myriad of other things. I myself, have had my car break down on the side of the road, and can't begin to tell you how many people pulled over to ask if I needed anything. Now, I don't know for a fact this doesn't happen everywhere, but I can say I've never heard of Any Other State Nice.

And while we are very considerate to strangers in Minnesota (for the most part. Obviously you can't go everywhere and expect to be welcomed. In some areas you can expect to be shot (Ok, maybe not shot, but you will get threatening glances.).) I can say for a fact that, at times, it's much easier to be nice to complete strangers than it is to the people we really care about.

Holidays are a time where we are not only around our families, we nearly have them shoved down our throats! And while we love them dearly (I hope!) they know better than anyone how to get under our skin. And if we are being honest, we know the best ways to retaliate. And by they, I mean my family, and by we, I mean me. I think its because we know they love us no matter what, and we're told to that the one place we can always be open and honest is home. But we, and again, I mean me, abuse that right.

I guess all I'm doing is reminding myself to make the conscious effort to be kind and considerate to my family. That beyond the ease of a friendly "Merry Christmas!" to the strangers I meet this month, I need to bring that same spirit of kindness, consideration, and patience to my family as well, not only this month, but always.

Not gonna lie, I'm asking a lot of myself here! Hahahahaha, just kidding, They are easy to love ALWAYS!


Hahahahaha

Oh lordy




Thanks for reading, guys! It means a lot! And I'd totally appreciate some accountability on this Christmas Mission! Feel free to check up on me through Le Twitter! Also, consider taking part in More Love Letters' Mission! It's a really amazing thing to do!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren! Thanks for this reminder today. I know other people, and by other people, I mean me, often struggle with the same thing in regards to family. Being kind and considerate often applies to everyone else but our families. It's nice to be reminded that this kindness should be extended ten-fold to our family!

    Have an incredible day!
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete