Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me...

There is one thing I have always been proud to say about myself, and that's that I don't care what people think about me. If I feel like singing/dancing in my car, eating a gigantic steak, or making a fool of myself, I'm going to do it. I choose my music, clothing, movies, books, or whatever, based on what I like, and not on what's popular. I've never had much time for other peoples opinions on me. I know what I like and who I am, and I'm not going to alter it because someone thinks I'm odd. I AM odd, crazy, different, unusual, and unique. And I love that about myself.

However...

I am aware that people are watching me. Young, old, male, female, Christians, and the World are all watching me. I don't blame them. I mean, I am pretty fascinating, for a 23 year old who knits, and just planned a craft night for this weekend. And because of this, I have to be cautious and aware of what I say and do.

I do realize that those are two rather contradictory paragraphs. So let me clean this up.

We need to make sure that the person we are, and the person we show to others, are in fact, the same person.

This goes beyond "being yourself." This is making sure that you are proud of the person you are, regardless of others opinions, but at the same time, are proud and ok with people seeing you do it, because people are watching you, whether you knit or not.

I know that those seem like two things that go hand in hand, but so often we can decide that our actions are fine, as long as they're something we really want to do, that it's "part of who we are." LIES!!!  They maybe something "lawful," but at the same time, our actions can lead others to fall, doubt, or just cause general discord. And while their actions are on them, they can also point towards us as the one who pointed them off the path.

Now, I am all about Grace and Mercy. They are the most valuable thing we have as Christians, in my opinion. They are not an excuse to lead others wrong though. If you read Matthew 18:6, you'll see that Jesus feels pretty strongly on the subject. I mean, He literally tells people to jump into the ocean with a rock around their neck rather than cause someone else to stumble. That's a pretty strong message, at least in my book.

Now, before you tell me that no one is watching you, so you're in the clear, just stop. You may be the most boring, hideous person alive, and I will still bet that there is SOMEONE watching you. It could be the your local barista, the bank teller, your coworker, your friend's little sibling. You have no idea who it could be. I didn't. I started volunteering at my church's high school program, with kids who I used to babysit, and I am constantly amazed at the kids that come up to me and tell me they remember me from when I was a cheerleader, or when I did the school plays. I had no idea who these kids were, let alone that they were alive when I could do the splits. I've been shocked at the kids who have told me they did something because they saw me do it, or heard me talk about it. I mean, are they nuts? They're making choices because of me? The me I was in 9th grade?! That's INSANE! But it happens all the time, and not just to me! People constantly are making decisions because of other people they see. Myself included.

Now, I again want to say that I am not at all saying that you need to care about peoples opinions of you. Nope. When you know you're doing what God has called you to do, or its something that may just toss you into the "geek" category, toss their opinions right out the window. BUT, when you're going about your life, you need to be aware of how your actions can influence others. Be the you that you would want a group of young kids to want to be like. Be the you that your grandma would be proud of. Be the you that the World will say, "Yeah, They're a Christian, but they're cool! They're someone I want to be like. They have something about them that I want." Because that's what we're called to do here, right?




Thanks for reading! I really do not get why you pick my blog to spend your valuable time reading, but I want you to know that I truly appreciate it. Thank you!

1 comment: