Tuesday, November 22, 2011

No Te Quiero Perder

I remember this night so well, which is funny, since there was really nothing remarkable about it. It was one of my last nights in Mexico, and so two of my friends and I went out. We got bubble tea and talked and laughed, then went to Sam's Club for some food and more laughter, then for tamales, and then just bopping around downtown. We laughed and talked, about nothing and everything. I'd been gone for about a year, but it still felt like old times. When they pulled up to my house to drop me off, none of us wanted the night to end. So we sat in the car, and they got me to memorize a song in Spanish. The song is ridiculously over the top, hilariously so, gushing from this man desperate to win back an ex. He goes on and on about all the things he'd be willing to loose, but not this woman. Her presence is essential to his being, and so on.

My friends and I belted this till we were hoarse, and then sang it once more. For the remaining days I had there, whenever we saw each other, we would burst into the chorus and then laugh at the stares we got. To this day, whenever I think of them, or they of me, we pop over to their Facebook and drop a "No Te Quiero PERDER!" or for those of you who don't speak the Spanish, "I don't want to lose you!" And while for the 3 of us it's a silly statement that brings back fond memories, in actuality, it's a pretty powerful statement.

Who can you not stand to lose in your life? Yes, I realize that the Christian answer is Jesus, but really think about it for a moment. Who are the people that, if they left your life, you would notice their absence? Miss their presence? Mourn the loss of their friendship?

I know for myself that several of the people who fall into this category for me, well, let's just say that I haven't been making it clear that they are those people for me. It's all to easy to spend time alone and make excuses for why we haven't connected, or to place the blame on them. But that's not fair to them. I'm as much responsible for connecting with them and letting them know that they're valuable to me as they are. You get out of things what you put in them, and all that. So, with Thanksgiving just around the corner, let's take a closer look at the people in our lives, and let them know how much we really care for them. 'Tis the Season, after all.



Thanks for reading! You guys definitely fall into my "Things I'm Thankful For" Category! Have a wondermus Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment